Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gay Marriage - Better late than never.

In my adventure with Apture, I have decided to write about something more important to me... gay marriage being legalized in Iowa (and Vermont).

I only focus on Iowa because it was such a shock when my friend called and told me it was a real possibility. Iowa. Iowa?! It's so close to home!

From "Iowa Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage" (AP) on msnbc.com:
"We are firmly convinced the exclusion of gay and lesbian people from the institution of civil marriage does not substantially further any important governmental objective," the Supreme Court wrote. Iowa lawmakers have "excluded a historically disfavored class of persons from a supremely important civil institution without a constitutionally sufficient justification." To issue any other decision, the justices said, "would be an abdication of our constitutional duty."

I hope people are finally starting to get this because, after writing papers and articles on the subject from both sides, I have yet to see a good argument against same-sex marriage.

Come on Minnesota!

2 comments:

Jayme said...

I am glad you wrote about this. I am so proud of Iowa for passing this legislation. Of course the act of excluding gay and lesbian people from marriage does not further any governmental objective! Yay Iowa... and yes, let's go Minnesota!

Rachel Ryan said...

Rachel Maddow rocks!! I'd love to see you on this show because I know you'd have excellent opinion and you always have a lot of other views I think people would be open to listening about!