Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Facebook: a free for all.

I remember when people needed to have a credible college e-mail to join Facebook. Those were the good old days without "I love the Jonas brothers" bumperstickers and a suggestion to "add your aunt".

Which brings me to my next point:
All in the Facebook family: older generations join social networks

"The trend is still relatively confined. Only about 7 percent of people
older than 65 have online social-networking profiles, according to research from
the Pew Internet & American Life Project. But Facebook's
popularity is growing most quickly among women older than 55, according to a
site called Inside Facebook, which tracks Facebook's growth."

I get it. I get it. It's an easy way for companies to look at your profile and older employees to keep up with the times, aunts to keep up with neice's children and moms to see what their kids are up to. But I really don't want to add my mom to Facebook.

Facebook is an online scrapbook of your life, and I have deleted 3/4 of my "college life scrapbook" because of potential employers when I already have 3 other professional sites they can look at. How many online sites can I possibly keep track of?

I know Facebook can't be confined to the college life. But hearing my 53-year-old aunt say, "Well my sister told me to just go on Facebook to look at my nephew's baby pictures," makes me laugh a little.

No comments: